Friday 14 February 2014

The <i>Un</i>Published Game Designer's Blog: Where to begin?

Greetings friends!

So far in the UnPublished Game Designer's blog I have covered a couple of issues, namely creating a concept and maintaining a positive attitude.

Today I would like to discuss what is needed to get the ball rolling and how you too, favoured reader, could be an unpublished game designer too!

Just Have Fun!
I know, I know. It's easy to say that a person should just start having fun with their game and hope it comes together, but that is the first bit of advice that I need to pass on to you.

But I have no qualifications, tools, skills etc!

Bullshit!

Some of the best game designers have never been to a single lecture on design or owned a computer, and skills? You can learn and home skills with time.

So what should I do?

Do what you enjoy. It's as simple as that.

Remember, we already have our story/concept in idea form, and we have already established that you hold a good attitude.

Don't start by following a paint by numbers guide or going on a course! Both of these almost always cost money and right now that is not something you should even be considering!

Would a game design guide help? Probably!

Would a course help?
Of course!

Do you need either of these right now?
Hell no!

What you need is to have fun!

You see this is why the first two steps are so important. By figuring out a story and narrative you can engorge your imagination, you can get your creative juices flowing. If you went through the attitude post and agreed with my points, then you are not in this process to make money as a primary factor, but to have fun as a hobby and create something that you and others like you can enjoy.

So I'll say it again.

Have fun!

How did you get started?

Me? I started with an overview story. An introduction if you will.

After creating a few short stories I knew the direction I wanted the fluff to go and by proxy the sort of atmosphere I wanted to portray in game.

Next for me was a bit of graphic design, something else I've always enjoyed.

You see, from the get go I've always wanted fun looking 'loot' cards for my game, and even though it wasn't needed I spent a good few hours playing in Photoshop making examples of said cards.

To some people what I did would seem like an insane waste of time, but to me it was fun, and like I've been saying all post: have fun.

************

It seems quite simple really doesn't it? Just. Have. Fun!

Do you enjoy writing stories? Get started on the fluff!

Do you enjoy graphic design? Do some art, concept or gameplay.

Do you like number crunching? Start planning the numbers for the game, dice/cards/spinner mechanics, it's all maths.

Do you like sculpting? Why not make a model for an NPC?

************

Does this get you a working game with all the bells and whistles? No it doesn't, and if this is all you ever tackle and don't even consider the other stuff then your game will never get off the ground at all.

But with this you will have something, even if that something is just an afternoon of fun.

And like we've already established, isn't that the reason you wanted to do this in the first place? To have fun?

**************

On that note I'll bid you all adieu with wishes you stay safe and I'll see you Cryptside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment