Tuesday 3 December 2013

FarCry3: Blood Dragon - A Second Opinion

Good Tuesday everyone!

Today I would like to talk to you about a game I've been playing recently:



FarCry3: Blood Dragon

Now I'm not going to do what a lot of reviewers have already done at great length and talk about the science behind the games, about whether or not the game's joke works.

No instead I'm going to tell you about my experiences and if I enjoyed it.

So to start with as you can see from the cover shot, the game takes a lot of inspiration from the 80s and 90s and the tv/film that came from then.

This is continued when you look at the lead character, voiced by none other than Michael Biehn of Terminator and Aliens fame!

Anyway, the game opens up with a cutscene reminiscent of most video games from the 80s and 90s


And these style of cutscenes continue throughout the game, which itself is filled with more neon than the last Tron film



But is it fun?

Let me ask you another question: Is Axe Cop fun?

That is what this game is! It is not a game that is poking fun at the games of old, or even mocking the modern games, instead it is (to me) a game that was conceived 20-30 years ago, when a kid said "if I could make a game, it would have a cyber commando, lasers, neon, an evil general and dinosaurs that fire more lasers out of their freaking eyes!

Now that kid is a developer, maybe even a head developer, and someone has given him the cash to make a game. This is his moment! And this was his game!

And you know what? It fucking rocks!

From start to finish I really enjoyed this game, I genuinely laughed and smiled, appreciated the nods to pop-culture and really enjoyed the genuine retro feel the whole thing had.

Is it a perfect game? Game of the year? Hell no! But it is a truly enjoyable romp through the mind of most early pubescent boys from the time in question.

So if you have fond memories of He-Man, The Terminator, RoboCop, The Running Man, Rambo, TMNT, VCRs, Fixing the tracking on the school TV, and all the other crap that came with it, give this game a whirl and get lost in a world that heavy metal forgot!

Stay safe and I'll see you Cryptside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment