Thursday 13 August 2015

Overcoming Hobby Malaise

Greetings friends!

So as I write this I am hectically hitting the iPhone equivalent of F5 waiting for a special podcast episode to be published, and figured the best way of passing the time would be to share some stuff with you.

Hobby Malaise.

You know what I'm talking about, Hobby Funk. That lack of an urge to do stuff.

In my case it is painting.

I've got more projects with pins stuck in them than I want to admit, including but not limited to;

- A large pile of modular sci fi terrain for DeadZone
- A 300+ point Nomad force to use as Raiders for FLO
- A Pan-O starter set for use in FLO (unsure what as currently).
- A 300+ Morat force to use as Red Claw in FLO
- Some misc Infinity models including things like Scarface & an Aleph doc for use as Raiders.

All of these have been built and other than the last they have even been undercoated and appropriately ink-washed, but other than a very small selection, that is where it has stopped and has for the past 6-7 months.

The problem seems to be destruction. I am getting distracted by other things.

I now have enough models to run a large Red Claw force as well as a large Raider force. I am thinking my next expansion will by a Trydan force, that way I have all 3 of the Reaver groups, but that doesn't help my current situation.

Anyway, I'm getting distracted while talking about distraction!

It's so easy to do. With only about 2-4 hours free a day, and my desire to spend that time with my wife playing games together from Dying Light to World of Warcraft, that time passes very quickly.

Then there is time I've put aside as 'Hobby Time' but that ends up getting swallowed up recently with rules work, book design, website work and fluff/lore writing.

I've got the next week off while I look after the little one, which should be great for a little bit of hobby time here and there, but as the week gets closer and closer I seem to be filling it up with other activities like trips into London etc.

How do you guys deal with it?

I know the golden rule is to paint what you want to paint, and all these models I want to paint, I just don't want to do any painting at the moment.

I guess one way of looking at it is that we only have so much 'hobby juice' in us, and right now that is getting used up on the FLO game itself.
- Did you know; I've had an episode of Hobby Sofa to edit and upload for over a month, but it keeps getting knocked down the priority line, and getting firstlawoverride.com sorted has just been priority for a good couple of weeks now.

Anyway I'm dragging on now; until next time, stay safe and be excellent to each other!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment