Tuesday 20 October 2015

Another Hobby Update

Greetings friends!

Today i'd like to share with you where I am with my hobby pledge.

So Week 1 was to complete my gaming terrain for my 'generic scifi' board. As you can see from the pictures below this was a resounding success:








I have received some concerns that this board looks a little 'too generic scifi' and adding some flavour items to make it feel more Override-y would be a good thing. I really liked that idea and have been trying to reach out to a laser-cutting company to see if we can work together on this. FINGERS CROSSED!!

Week 2 was to base coat my Red Claw Kratel (or Infinity Morats to those of you unfamiliar with my proxies). This was met with mixed success. The hair and skin was done as intended, but I ran into some problems painting up the armour as I wanted it base coated black, but they came out a little -too- black. As such last night I was repainting their armour and clothes grey and applied a black wash to them:



The goal here is to provide suitable highlights for the areas which I want to remain black such as armour chunks, while the clothing will go into grey. The aim here is to create a shocking contrast between the muted armour and clothes to the vibrant red hair (except for Bal'Tek at the front there, he has white hair, so his armour will be a dark red in comparison. As a Merc (special character) I want him to stand out from the crowd.

This leaves me with half a week to do all the highlighting as well as painting the bases. This is not going to be easy, or even possible I don't think. As such I am extending my pledge to 3 weeks for the Red Claw. I could have maybe pushed ahead with their initial problems, but I fear I would have resulted in subpar models as a result, and that is not something I am willing to risk.

So my plan for the rest of this week is to work on the cloth areas and get them finished. That leaves me the armour and bases to go next week. I might even try and squeeze the base coat for the bases into this week if I can as at least then there will be a little bit more wiggle room.

Oh and of course there is the weapons... Damn I forgot about them! I'm hoping to make the blades a strong deep red so that they stand out as well, the guns however I'm not sure about. I am wondering about trying digital urban camouflage on them to give them a strong contrast with the 'all-black' of my Raider guns. Not sure, but I think that could look good, something like this which I believe is from GoW?



After all if the armour and clothes are black and grey, it would make sense for the weapons to follow suit.

- oh and I forgot one last thing! Free hand shoulder work! Yup, I'm red I want to paint a handprint similar to this from Total Recall:


Don't know if I can pull it off, but in bright red I think that would make a perfect image for a group who call themselves The Red Claw!

Anyway, that's all from me for now! Until next time; stay safe and be excellent to each other!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment