Monday, 8 April 2013

Weekend Catchup: Exclamations & Examinations

Good Monday everyone!

Boy am I tired after this weekend, but let me tell you, it's been an interesting one.

I'm not going to go into great amounts of detail, just fill you in on the basics.

- Friday
So Friday started, and while listening to the Bayou Broadcast (get on iTunes!) my train stopped at a station with an announcement that there had been an "overhead power failure".

So fast forward about 20 mins and it is starting to get late, so myself and a large number of others spill out from the train station to see that we're in the middle of nowhere.

This presented me with only a couple of options: 1). Go to work, 2). Go home.

Now option 1 sadly would involve a very expensive taxi ride on the grounds that I was at train station 3 out of ~15 on the way to London, so that would have probably come to about £150-£200, even split with other commuters, that's a lot of money.

Option 2 was certainly the cheaper. Still an expensive taxi ride (oh and I should probably mention, for some reason there were no busses) or instead a rough 2 hour walk home.

So calling work I took the day out if my leave balance with the full intention of getting home at roughly 11am and spending the day studying for my exam resit on Saturday.

Roughly 2 hours later (and still no sign of any buses) I reach my town, but then it occurs to me, I also need to go into town and pick up pens and a calculator for my exam. So rather than going straight home I walk into town, shop and then home.

At almost exactly 12, after 3 hours walking and 12 miles travelled I finally get home.

So I put my feet up, which by now are in a lot of pain along with my legs (I'm a lot less fit than I used to be 10 year ago) and fall asleep.

Four hours later I wake up and realise my intended day of studies has instead turned into a day of sleeping...

...And my feet/legs still hurt.

- Saturday.
So it was the day of my exam resit. Basic Accounting 1, the intro exam for the whole course, and I was on my 3rd attempt. Let's just say I was feeling a little depressed over the whole thing.

So I get started, I keep my cool and after one hour (of the 2 hour paper) I get to the end. Already I know 1 question I've done better than before. For the first time I've been able to get the trial balance to balance out, and that was done using only the DEAD CLIC trick, no problem solving or similar.

So I do some checking, make a few changes when I second guess my original answers and submit the paper.

Now as the exam is computer based, they have the results ready to go almost as soon as you press submit.

So I get my print out, and the top right looks strangely devoid of words. Gone are the words Not Yet Competent that I'm so used to, and replaced by simply Competent.

In other words I've passed!!

I'm ecstatic and hurry home.

- Sunday
Sunday was a quiet day in comparison, we went to the park to let the Moo have a run around, and then followed through by more playing at home in the garden.

One thing I did find that was interesting was the following miniature:

I saw this dude and was instantly reminded of my most feared boss from any computer based RPG, The Butcher from the original Diablo (not the watered down version you face in D3) and it occurred to me that I HAVE to find a way of getting this guy into MaliQuest. Queue my short bit of narrative from yesterday's blog.


And that's it. Now I'm going to close my eyes and enjoy what is left of my 'functional' train ride to work.

As always stay safe and I'll see you breachside.

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment