Wednesday 26 June 2013

CRYPTS: Of Lesser & Greater Demons

Good Wednesday everyone!

Before I start a quick update on the card back:


As you can see I have removed the logo and reduced the font, not sure about you but I much prefer it now.

Anyway, last night I set myself a mission, that mission was to locate 2x Suitable Lesser, Regular and Greater Demons that are usable in Crypts.

The first trio are the Malifaux Nephs:


Here's an old photo of my own Nephs.

Included as the Tots, Young and Mature Nephs we have models suitable as demons.

Next we have Hell Dorado, a game with very 'adult' miniatures.

From this range I've been able to find 'Regular' Demons:


And two suitable as Greater Demons:





The first example hasn't been released yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it before the end of the year.

So then came the question of Lesser Demons, and try as I might I was unable to find anything that looked like smaller versions of the regular ones, the only option is to go with a different strain of demon and call them Imps. For this I found the following from Sphere Wars:


The main problem with these? They're ALL in the same pose.

Saying that, I was given some great direction over twitter and I have Dave Fraser to thank for these Ympes


These are a strong contender for my Infernal Breed of Demons.

Another option would be to go for something like the following:





These are Goblins by Realer Miniatures and while they have a very different look, with the right paint job could make very good Imps.

Last but by no means least we have the Demonic Shaman:


This guy is just an extra providing the Demonic legion with ranged support. Using this guy however would lead me to use the Imps from Sphere wars and see if I was able to convert them into looking different.

***********

I'm sure by this point you are probably wondering what the point of this exercise was, and that would be a valid question, the answer is simple:

Choice, Variety and Ease of Access.

That is the CRYPTS matra and one I want to stick with. This game does not have a specified range of models, and so it allows the GM to instead use whatever models they like, including models they probably already own, and that is an official rule! No matter what happens to this game, even (if) I am somehow able to bring it to print and for some reason it becomes a popular game, it will always retain that one primary rule.

So often I see people saying they don't want to get into a new game because they don't like the buy-in cost, but what if the only but-in requirements were books, tiles, dice and cards, while a large number of models were covered by those you've already acquired from years of war gaming?

Anyway, that's me for the day. Stay safe and I'll see you Cryptside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment