Thursday 22 August 2013

Prepping for an Alpha Weekend

Good Thursday everyone!

Before I start today I would just like to say how much I love the rain, without a hint of sarcasm or irony, I love the rain! It's soothing and cooling and just makes me feel so much happier!

And now on with the show:

****************

So I've mentioned this over twitter and here a few times, but this weekend is due to be the official alpha showing of CRYPTS!

Sarah and I are visiting our friends for a covered BBQ weekend and in the evening I'm going to be giving this a trial, I have a small Encounter deck, I have a small number of Beasty cards printed along with Boss cards and a makeshift Loot deck.
- this is where things start to fall over, the loot deck has pretty much just as many common/uncommon/rare as each other, it's only Epic that is lower, and even then there are 4 rather than the intended 5.

But I'm not worried about the loot deck, or the fact that players are just as likely to flip a blue item as they are a grey item, the reason is that the aim of this weekend is to test if the rules work, are they easily follow able? Are there any glaring issues that need adjusting, and most of all, is it fun?

As long as the answers are Yes, No, Yes, then we're ready to move to Beta when I try to build the actual 60-card loot deck, more Beasty cards, and their corresponding Encounter cards.

Before then however I will be sending the abridged Alpha version to our good friend And from the Soulstone Train podcast.
- And has been very kind and agreed to give CRYPTS a play through after taking up D&D and enjoying our adventures in podcasting with the game MaliQuest, so once I return from this weekend, I'll be editing the QuickStart rules (I am already aware of some issues like where I refer to the GM as Sheriff rather than CK or Keeper) and anything else from this weekend, then packaging it up and shipping it out via email. Thankfully the cards at the moment take only about 30 mins to cut out, put in protectors and/or laminate. I know this because I did it last night, so this shouldn't cause And too many problems.

************

I am a little annoyed with myself that I haven't been able to paint my Imps, Skeletons, Zombies, Giant Spiders or The Demon Seed, but then I haven't really had the opportunity or interest in sitting down and painting post Salute (4 months ago).

This does mean that I'll be going to this weekend with unpainted models, half painted by someone else Spiders and WiP Demon Seed, but that's ok, if anyone asks this is all Alpha testing! :D

************

So that's all from me for today, and possibly all this working week. I may be posting over the weekend, but that's doubtful, and I am also hoping that we can get a NFR recording made while we're there considering all 4 of us will be there, but we'll see how it goes.

Until next time, stay safe and I'll see you Cryptside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment