Friday 11 April 2014

Swinging outside your weight (Salute 2014 buildup)

Good Friday friends!

Today brings us to the day before Salute 2014!

Now for those of you who don't know Salute 2014 is the UK's largest wargaming convention and every year it is held at the Excel Centre in London.

But you know what? To me and many more it's more than that. It's an opportunity for Geeks, dORks and nerDs to get together and be GORDs together as we shy away from direct sunlight, squeeze into our not-very slimming trousers and trim our neck beards.

It is almost irony that it is also the same day and place as the London Marathon sign up place every year. As if we didn't need any more fitness nuts looking at is like the weirdos we truly are.

But this is not what I'm going to talk about today. Instead today I bring you info on my own plans for Salute; plans that transcends the usual spend, spend, spend and instead into organise & hope.

You see this time last year things were very different. I was looking to move into podcasting but hadn't 'really' made the leap at all. I was still a Wyrd Henchman and was super excited to go to Salute2013 to meet other Wyrd players.

Now things are different, I am a lot more confident in my ability as a podcaster (and thanks go out to a certain few people for sticking with me over that) and I am going this year under the cover of Hobby Sofa.

Yup, this year I have no plans for recording anything particular, only meeting some guys from the twitterverse, recording maybe 5-10 minute bites with them and having a laugh.

I also have a plan for the queue...

You see last year I arrived early and as such got a great spot near the front of the queue. I want that again this year!

Of course this also means I have a long wait ahead of me, and how else is best to fill that gap?

Well a sing along of Toby Turner's Depressing Song the parody of Say Something by A Great Big World.

So if you are reading this, and if you are coming to Salute2014, please please please watch that video, learn the few lines of audio, come and find me and join me in a sing along of the silliest song of 2014!

Remember, you can find me by looking for the cowboy hat with goggles!!



So until tomorrow; stay safe and I'll see you Cryptside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment