Monday 28 April 2014

A Week Later

Greetings friends!

So it's been roughly one week since my last post and it really feels strange.

First I would like to both thank and apologise to my good friend And, who in response to my last post edited our Cryptside Chat complete with music. So thank you for getting that done for me! Of course you have my apologies for not uploading it.

So what have I been up to this past week? What with having 10 days away from the office?

It's simple really. So the first weekend was spent feeling sorry for myself with tooth ache.

Monday to Wednesday the wife and I went to Camden to celebrate our 7th Wedding Anniversary including watching The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which I have to be honest, was a really good film! A lot better than I though).

We also learned how to play the card game Tentacle Bento by Sodapop Miniatures - a really strategic game disguised as silly fun.

We also ate far too much junk food including a fantastic meal at the Gilgamesh restaurant in Camden which was fantastic (even if I struggled to eat everything - no lunch next time).

Did a bit of shopping as is customary and then made our way home.

Thursday and Friday was spent feeling exhausted after the travelling and a little bit of sickness (plus Thursday involved some more tooth pain with another dentist trip on Friday to add to my need to wallow).

Saturday and Sunday were your typical weekend, shopping, a trip to the lakes to show my daughter the baby ducks, that sort of thing.

All of which was of course overshadowed by the looming of my new job which officially started today.

This job is with the same company as before, it's mostly doing the same work, just with a largely new team as it's post-restructure.

I know it was silly, but all week this job was playing on my mind, how the rest of the teams first day would have been last week and so I was artificially distancing myself by having the week away from the office, but despite telling myself how it was all in my head blah blah blah, that didn't stop it ringing around in there.

Of course today went fine, better than fine as I was able to consult I policies and strategy and it felt like my opinion, while not always popular and in one case was rules against, it was valued and respected.

I was also able to surprise my new team mates by showing them my efficiency of working. It's a dangerous game to play, as showing up a team of workers as not only inefficient but also potentially slacking or lazy can backfire, but this was not me trying to brown-nose or deliberately show up the other workers, instead the aim was to do what I have always done at work; my hardest and best work, to the best of my abilities all the while trying to find the perfect balance between speed and accuracy.

Luckily my line manager seems to appreciate what I'm doing, however it's early days and paranoia or not, I need to ensure that I protect myself as much as possible from being screwed over.

I just know that my morals and work ethic will not allow that protection to come at the expense of my work output.

************

Anyway, this has been a really boring article for you to read so I'll bring this to a close.

Hope you are all well, that you stay safe and that I see you Cryptside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment