Wednesday 14 May 2014

You reap what you sow

Greetings friends!

So today is a funny day, but it has given me a lot to think about.

Now I was reading the Wildstar message boards earlier and I read a thread started by someone who was desperate for attention. I'm not going to go into details but it was very, very funny to read.

At one point in this thread somebody made an off the cuff comment of "you reap what you sow". This poster was asked what they meant by it and they explained that the original writing was so obsessed with getting attention that they didn't care where it came from. Now they are surrounded by people bashing them for being a pathetic human being.

The irony of this situation stayed with me and I can't help but be reminded of it now as I write this.

So it's a day off for me. I booked it off because at midday I had a dentist appointment to get a tooth extracted and it seemed silly having half a day off work for that to then have to make it through he day feeling sorry for myself with a numb face.

Why did I need to have this tooth extracted? To be honest it's mainly because of diet and a history of bad health and genetically weak teeth.

The tooth in question is one of my middle molars and when I was roughly 16 years old it split open, about 1/4 of it fell out and had to be replaced with filling. Then about 5 years after that another 1/4 broke off and he tooth was root canaled and filled making it 1/2 metal.

Then about a month ago the remaining surface tooth splintered off and had to be removed to stop it from hurting my gums leaving me with just the metal sat on top of the base and root. The next day the metal came off and I was left with the stump.

Since then I've had more problems including another root canal on the other side of my mouth but today was the day of extraction.

So I arrived, got my mouth filled with anaesthetic and went through just shy of an hour of crunching and pulling.

The tooth in question has 2 roots, so they had to split the tooth in half to make it easier, but in the process of doing so ended up removing a porcelain cap that a next door neighbour tooth had.

After an hour of pulling, the tooth after being dead for roughly 10 years kept splintering and sharing, they managed to remove one root but the second root is to curled and deep meaning they have had to refer me to a hospital so they can surgically remove what is left. Once that is done I can go back to the dentist and they can rebuild and recap the tooth that was damaged during today's work.

So here I am, sat in a bath having taken antibiotics to deal with the inevitable infection I should expect, paracetamol and ibuprofen to keep the jaw ache at bay once the anaesthetic wears off, 1 stumpy remains of a tooth waiting to be removed, one bloody hole in the gums and 1 shattered remains that needs to be removed by a medical dude! All the while having it covered by what I believe to be gauze soaked in iodine.

At least I hope it's gauze soaked in iodine, it looked like a lumpy clump of brown moss that tasted horrid and burned my nose!

The thing is, I can't complain or moan about it (yeah I know I'm kinda doing that now) but this is all my own fault and if I didn't indulge my sweet tooth at every opportunity, tearing away the enamel coating with fizzy drinks and fruit juices, then maybe I wouldn't be in this situation I am now.

************

Shoulda, woulda, coulda as they say.

If I stay realistic however, I need to put all this in perspective. Yes I may have to wait up to 5 weeks to get everything sorted and have my tooth rebuilt, and there is likely to be at least some pain between then and now, but kings could be a hell of a lot worse!

Right now I'm resting before I get started with a house clean in preparation for my wife's 30th birthday and I have two wonderful ladies living under my roof.

So no, I'm not going to wallow and feel sorry for myself! I'm going to enjoy myself and make sure that those I care about also have a good time too!

Until next time; stay safe and I'll see you Cryptside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

1 comment:

  1. "At least I hope it's gauze soaked in iodine, it looked like a lumpy clump of brown moss that tasted horrid and burned my nose!"
    Entirely likely it's actually some form of clove related product which they often use for treating dental repairs. It stinks, it feels wierd but it actually works wonders for medical treatment that originated from the dark ages!

    ReplyDelete