Thursday 8 May 2014

A Hobby Slump

Greetings friends,

You may have noticed a bit of a reduction in my postings the past couple of weeks.

Personally I hadn't really realised that this was the case, but I guess that is often the case when you're at the centre of your own activities.

I suppose this is an explanation as to what has happened and what you should expect from me moving forward for the time being.

**************

So if I am being honest, I am at present feeling a lack of motivation to engage in any hobby activities.

You see, maybe it's a lack of games or what but I am very much struggling to find something to focus on.

I look at the games currently available and there if very little that catches my eye and makes me want to own the models and play the game.

Currently the only games on my radar are Hell Dorado and EDEN, both of which have hardly any following in the UK and next to nothing in my own area, this is why I have yet to purchase anything for EDEN and why my Hell Dorado demons are still unfinished from Christmas over 4 months ago!

This slump I believe has come about from my experiences at this year's Salute convention about 3 or so weeks ago.

You see, I have read a lot of posts on the internet in general, but Facebook and Twitter in particular who consider this year's Salute to be the strongest yet, and to a degree I have to agree.

For me personally however it was one of the weakest because of what I would say is a trend in the industry towards digital sculpts.

At some point I would like to write a commentary on this trend and how we got here vs where we might end up if we continue to follow it, but that time is not now.

Anyway, as you may have guessed, this time spent at Salute really knocked me for six. My interest has greatly waned in pretty much all of my projects and I am really close to just saying "I quit" on wargaming in general.
- At least for the time being while I try and find something that I love to talk and share as much as I did other games.

There will always be CRYPTS, and when I get the gusto back I hope to continue working on the game, however since Salute I have tried to get back into that on a few occasions, be it rules writing, card design or fluff writing, and my heart just hasn't been in it.

I guess I would rather leave the game 'as is' for the time being than put out something subpar because of a need to 'get it done'.

Of course I am also looking to make the time to finish getting my computer back into shape post Windows reinstall. Still have Photoshop and MSWord to put back on, and without my primary tools working on the game is harder, but finding the effort to do this is just something I can't be bothered with right now.

**********

On the plus side I've been able to dive back into one of my longer lasting loves than even wargaming; videogames!

For those who haven't been following any of my other projects, I've been really enjoying my continued work with my MMO Role Play character in the game The Secret World.

It's a great game that lends itself really well to immersion and player involvement both inside and outside the game itself.

***********

So this is where we are at the moment. A lot of things are on hold and due to remain there until a switch is flipped in my head. That could happen today, tomorrow, or maybe not until 2020 for all I know!

I'm not going to bitch however, and I will keep writing posts about whatever interests me at the time, you should expect to see a change in focus for at least the immediate future.

Until next time.

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley


No comments:

Post a Comment