Monday 5 March 2012

WIP Chapel Hill

Morning all,

Apologies for the lack of postings recently, my mind has been on other things.

One of those things is my ongoing project: Chapel Hill.

Last we left I was at the following step:



I had finished the paper masche, added a base and added some ridging to the path ways.

Since then I added some more details:


First thing I added were trees. As you can see I have yet to add foliage to these trees, and they are currently attached by just pushing them into the paper. Once I have finished the painting stage, then I'll attach them properly.


Next up was to make some fencing and walkway(s).

These can be seen along the left hand pathway.

The walkway was made in order to widen a part of the path which wasn't wide enough to hold a 30-40mm base. This consisted of matchsticks cut to size and laid out across each other, sort of like a wooden pallet.

The fencing was just as simple, matchsticks on cocktail sticks.
They may look a little basic, but I think it encourages a rustic feel - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Last but not least, on Saturday I added pathways and base effect:


The pathways were done with basalt bought from a hobby store. It's a little expensive, but it is great for making slopes grippable by bases, and as it is uniform in appearance it is perfect for pathways.

The basing is my favourite medium! Kitty Litter! It's so cheap and makes a great rocky formation.

In the past I have had problems with kitty litter staying attached to the base, so I read a technique of watering down PVA glue, thoroughly mixing the two and then liberally applying this over the litter once it's stuck to the base. I've tried this, and this morning it appears that it's finally dried, and so far indeed the litter seems to bd firmly stuck to the base!

Well, tonight and tomorrow night I have to study for my Accountancy course, same with tomorrow, so stay tuned for an update with Wednesday's Adventures of Geek Dad! Where among the usual baby alone time, I'll be popping outside to spray paint the whole thing a dark brown.

Stay tuned!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment