Friday 14 September 2012

The Adventures of Geek Dad: Everything Changes

Good Friday all!

Well what a week it's been!

First things first, a bit of back tracking for you all:

On Sunday my lovely Mother in Law popped by and picked up the Mini Moo so that she could spend just under a week with her granny.

Of course this meant that my wife and I got to enjoy a week of 'the old life'.

With my GenCon order arriving last Monday, that actually meant for me many nights of painting and modelling all accumulating with a nice meal tonight out at our usual place that we haven't been to for nearly a year.

What is funny is how things change.

So I described it just now as 'the old life'. But the reality is quite different.

You see, things can never go back to the way they were, because neither my wife or I are who we were back then.

Having my daughter has changed me in ways I'd have never thought possible, and what is even more strange about it: I wouldn't go back, even if I had the choice, I would not choose to go back to my old lifestyle of zero responsibility and carefree lifestyle.

This realisation comes as a bit of a shock to me. You see, when the Mini Moo was born, mentally I put my old life on the shelf with an ear mark to revisit it in 18 years time.

I now know that such a thing is not possible.

Maybe that is why so many people struggle with retirement? They try to return to their old lives but can't.

I'm even left wondering to myself, if I could meet who I was a year ago, would I even like him?

Anyway, just some random thoughts for the day from me.

Tune in next week for my report on the new Wyrd Plastics, and (with hope) finished paint jobs for my Lynch crew.

See you breachside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment