Wednesday 17 September 2014

Time for a sit down and chat

Greetings friends!

So today is Wednesday and it's been a short while since my last post, in fact we are a couple of days away from a full week.

So what has your dear Dr Loxley been up to?

Well I've been off work since Monday on annual leave, I've had a few days lay in and I have also been revising for my exam on Saturday.

Yup, it's that time again when I try to prepare myself for my upcoming test.

Let me tell you it is not going to be easy after all this is a resit of the massive balls-up I did back in April, however I've looked over my records and I think I know where I went wrong. So fingers crossed I can get my 2x70% pass.
- What that means is that there are 2 parts to the exam and in order to pass it I need to get 70%+ on each part! that's right it's not an average for the whole, it's each part of the paper. If I get 100% on part 1 but 69% on part 2, then it is marked up as a failure. Ouch.

Anyway, what else have I been up to?

Not that much to tell the truth, I've been playing some video games, watching a film or two and going over a little rule or two for First Law. Currently I'm thinking about range modifiers. See, I would quite like to use a range tool for the game, but as the game doesn't have weapon ranges that is reflected a little strangely.
Then it occurred to me: have a unanimous close range distance, a unanimous medium range, and anything beyond that is considered long range.

Currently I'm thinking of 0-6" being close range, 6-12" being medium range, and 12+" being long. What his means is I need a tool that is 12" long and divided at the 6" mark, I'm doing so this tells you if something is within these two ranges.

What I could also do is have the first... I don't know... 10?" Marked as well, this allows the tool to be used for movement as well, or maybe the whole 12 could be with big OTT markers showing the 6 and 12 inch marks.

You see, I want to make it that some weapons are better at close, or at long rage, I'm thinking about how shotguns are so much better at close range than a rifle, and I'm thinking; maybe rather than effecting the ranges, I should just effect the dice. So if a mag rifle gets +1 at close and -1 at long, maybe a shotgun gets +2 at close and -2 at long. Remember; theses modifiers not only effect your chance to hit, but also directly your damage dealt. Maybe theirs could be done even more extreme making log range -4 to hit with a shotgun, meaning maybe with the right mods and accessories you would get a single dice roll against them at long range, but good luck actually doing anything, especially as the standard shotgun would probably have 4 dice to start with.

Anyway, that's all from me today. Tomorrow I'm taking my youngling on her first trip into London and I'll also be introducing her to my work place as well as trains and the tube. It's either going to go really well or really badly.

On Saturday I will almost certainly provide you with an update, either filled with joy or tears. I guess we will have to see how it goes.

Take care y'all!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment