Wednesday 2 September 2015

Into The Great White and beyond

Greetings friends!

So a couple of developments for you all, firstly I have gotten started playing the new Mad Max game, and oh what a game! I'm about 1.5-2 hours into it, but having a great great time so far!

Depending on how the game goes you should expect one of 3 things:
1). I love the game and feature it in my annual GotY awards.
2). It takes a turn for the worst and I feature it in a Second Opinion post.
3). It takes a turn for the worst but is not anything worth mentioning, in which case you'll never hear of it again.

What I can say at this point is that it feels awesome to play.

There are a lot of people who have compared it to Shadow of Mordor, but I've never played that.

Personally I would compare it more to the latest Batman game; Arkham Knight (only without the poor framerate and terribad optimisation).

If you have played the recent Batman games, with the Y button being 'parry' and X being 'hit' and combat consisting of a combination of the two, then you already know what combat is like in Mad Max. And while it seems and sounds shallow, those who have played the Arkham series will agree I am sure that it is actually a really complex combat system that is easy to pick up, but relies heavily on timing and combo-making.

Add to that beautiful wasteland vistas and freak-style storms and you have what I have experienced of the game in a nut shell!

I'm loving it! It's like RAGE only prettier, with more backstory and (a lot) less ammo!

*******

I've also been thinking hard about where First Law: Override is going.

As it stands we are now in Public Beta, and for the next few months a lot of my work has quietened down. Book 1 is pretty much written, now it just needs more testing and balancing. Which is where you guys come in!

But I'm not going to be sitting on my thumb all this time, as there is one part of Book 1 that I really wanted to include, but in order to keep things concise it just wasn't practical. That is the lore and fluff.

So as of now my primary focus is on getting the lore and fluff stamped out onto page. This will be in the form of a sort of 'player's guide to Honos'.

We'll be looking at a dual run timeline, showing the events of the Hydan & Kratel in the Outer Fringe running alongside human history which leads to the AI War and when humanity reaches the Outer Fringe and both separate timelines merge into a single one.

There will be narrative covering the events in detail, as well as proper exploration into the races and cultures present within this game.

In no way is this a small undertaking, and I would expect you to find me nose into books for some time now as I prepare to get this written. But the end result should provide you with everything you need to know of the 'behind the scenes' of Honos itself.

*********

With hope I can give you more info in the near future. Until then stay safe and be excellent to each other!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment