Monday 16 April 2012

The Adventures of Geek Dad: Part Eight

Good Monday all!

So we're only a few days away from Salute 2012 and I am super psyched.

But not even a room full of mega geeks, Wayland Games and Sarissa Precision can compare to the joy I felt when I collected this from the post depot this morning:



For those who don't fully know, this is the 1992 Halcyon kit model of the USCM Conestoga-class ship made famous by the USS Sulaco in Aliens.

Now I would just like to reiterate the date on this model, 1992, that's 20 years old, so it's understandable why finding one is not the easiest of things, at least for less than £150 like eBay has.

That was until I randomly stumbled across a box on a second hand model website. It had been opened and was missing the transfer decals, but other than that in mint condition and only £40!

Naturally this was a sure purchase and so I was over joyed to pick it up today and peek inside



So then, after about an hour of assembly later, I now have a constructed version:


It even comes with a scale model UD4 Cheyenne Utility Dropship:


Over the next few days/weeks this will be my next project, I want it to look beautiful including a home made sprayed on decal print just as the movie intended.

This is nearly the holy grail for me, and thankfully as I currently have the rest of the week off from work I should have some time to work more on it.

Tomorrow however is a day of pure baby organising. In the morning were getting her weighed and then I'm taking her to a day centre to see if we can be put on their books and what their pricing is like.

It looks like we're entering a new chapter here, my wife and I have a regular amount of free time and were looking for her to return to work in a few months.

My how time flys...

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment