Saturday 14 April 2012

Could this be the motivation behind Prototype2?

Evening all,

Well it's unusual for me to write a post on a Saturday, but I just saw the live action trailer for Prototype 2 and had to comment.



http://m.kotaku.com/5902002/live-without-a-net-prototype-2s-latest-trailer-falls-from-a-rooftop

Ok firstly I have to admit, I LOVED Prototype, Alex Mercer was a character I could get behind and empathised with. I wont give away any spoilers here, but when I read about P2 I was very surprised.

The lead character is no longer Mercer, and instead it's an army dude called Heller (I think that's his name) who has been infected by Mercer with the same Blacklight virus as Mercer himself.

Now this confused me until I just saw this trailer. Up until now I've known Mercer, I played through his game and I saw the world through his eyes, and he hated being a monster, and throughout the storyline he put his own life on the line to save humanity. To badly quote Total Recall, a man is defined not by his name, but by his actions (or something like that).

Regardless of the state that Mercer was, his actions throughout the story of Prototype mandated that he was a hero of the people willing to risk his life to save people he didn't know.

So why would he infect someone with Blacklight and force them to suffer as he had/does?

The look in his eyes during this trailer told me more than I could have imagined. There's a bigger problem in NYC than people realise, and Mercer is not the cause of it, we saw a glimpse of her in P1 and I'm sure we'll see more in P2.

Just like Kane and Raziel in the Legacy of Kane franchise, alone they can not save mankind, but together they have a chance.

Mercer doesn't want to infect Heller, but he must, and he must use Heller's thirst for revenge and hate to teach him how to master his Blacklight abilities, all of this leading to a final showdown against the real evil in NYC, and maybe even the Black-Ops team who started it all at the very beginning.

I may be wrong, Mercer may just be the new comic book villain, and I don't know about you, but if I'm right, this is a game I WANT to play!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment