Friday 20 July 2012

The Adventures of Geek Dad: Parents Evening

Good Friday all!

So why has your beloved Doctor been quiet all this week? Well I'm afraid he's been suffering since last week.

He isn't sure exactly what has caused it, maybe it was that rogue bacteria he grew in his posotronic petri dish, or perhaps it was the 'Gnome Begone' jelly he ate last week, but what he does know is that at every available interval he's been coughing and spluttering at the slightest level of physical exertion.

Despite this, last night I went to my very first parents evening!

Sure the Mini Moo is only 8 months old and goes to day care 4 days a week, but they offered for us to come to their parents evening, and I wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to spend some some time with the Moo's key worker. After all, during the week she spends more time with my daughter, and I need to be comfortable with having her looking after my child.

One thing I did walk away with, things have changed a lot since I was a child. Now they track every little development she does in a rather fun scrapbook which I understand goes with her when she moves over to Pre school and beyond.

I also came away being confident that the Moo's key worker genuinely liked her. She took pleasure in caring for the Moo and that most certainly helps in boosting my confidence that she's in good hands while there.

One thing that I must admit, for the past few months I've been tracking her 'firsts' but yesterday was one of my own firsts.

You see, it occurred to me before that all of this time I've been looking at these events as 'firsts' for my girl, forgetting that a lot of these are 'firsts' for me too, of course the obvious ones are from months and months ago; my first changing of a nappy, my first feeding, my first smile obtained, that sort of thing. And last night was my first time sat opposite a 'teacher' being expected to ask questions about my child's development and not having the foggiest what to ask!

The thing is, I can imagine a lot of parents with children under 1 would want to know how their child is settling in, are they happy there, that sort of thing.

Now I'm not saying that I know my daughter better than most parents to an under 1, but I can recognise when she's had a tiring day, an under stimulated day, an upset day and a fun happy day.

So when I get home from work and I see her happy, playing with her toys and Mummy Moo, I know that she's had a happy day with everyone she's been with.

And maybe you think this is lazy parenting, but being completely honest, I don't really care what it was that made her happy, just as long as she is happy.

As more than anything else, that's all I want for her.




- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment