Friday 16 November 2012

MaliQuest: An Update

Good Friday everyone!

Well it's been roughly a week since my last MaliQuest update, and what do I have to say?

Not much I'm afraid, other than discussing this with a friend little else has been done.

However! I do have a plan for the first expansion:

The Paths of Fate.

This was essentially suggested by a friend of mine who I saw last Friday. The idea would be that you can acquire 'faction' points to direct your character in one way or another, in theory you could have someone who is say, a Guild Guard who experiments with Resser magic.

These points would give certain rewards, extra suits, special abilities etc, however the more I thought about it, the more I knew that this had to be an optional extra.

It's a great idea, but when you're trying to keep the base game as simple as possible while including as much cool stuff as you want, this becomes perfect for the first expansion.

And so my plans are still going ahead, I'm looking for an initial release of at least the demo version in the new year, probably January-December time with full campaign rules following a couple of months after that. Once that is done I'll be looking to ways of expanding this supplement even further, and that is where Paths of Fate come in.

******************

For those who don't use twitter (and if you don't, why not? It is simply the best place for Malifaux!) you may have missed Wyrd's little announcement: https://twitter.com/wyrdgames/status/269481808255651840

Yeah, so Wyrd are also looking to get the ball rolling on their RPG. This has me worried.

Currently I/we have no idea how their RPG will play out, but I have a feeling that it will deviate in a big way from the core of Malifaux.

This is my hope. As long as it is different enough, then that means there is still a place for MaliQuest, as this game is a Dungeon Crawler with RPG elements. It's like Warhammer Quest, a game I would never describe as an RPG.

While I am sure there will still be some people interested in MaliQuest (after all it's a free supplement for Malifaux that the players can alter and influence directly in the development stages) I have no doubt that if the Wyrd RPG is too similar, it will completely eclipse MaliQuest and make the hours/days/months of work that will be put into it a wasted opportunity.

Here's hoping.

************

Anyway, less doom and gloom!

While I still have some time before the yet-to-be-rescheduled chat with the Malifools, I want to put the time to use, which means making more loot cards, so when I do my big unveiling I have more to show for it.

But I want to know, what do you want to see?

What spells/abilities are your favourite ones? Are there any models that you just love the game mechanics of?

I can't guarantee that I will be able to get it exactly as is into the game, but I will try my best to st least stay true to the spirit of the ability.

An example of this is one I've recently come up with: an artifact that is a pet Steampunk Arachnid, which you as a player can throw at an enemy, activating the Arachnid's Latch On ability and reducing the target's Df.

What about Criid's Cigarette Lighter? An artifact which allows you to cast Flame Burst?

Essentially if there is a spell or ability that you love, then somehow there must be a way to fit it into the loot mechanic and add Common-Epic scalings, but in order to decide between the HUNDREDS of weapons, abilities, triggers and spells I need some help.

Anyway, that's it from me, good night, stay safe, and I'll see you all breachside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment