Sunday 23 December 2012

Vassel: The End of Non-Painters?

Good Sunday all!

As many of you will know, Wyrd released a module for Vassel http://www.wyrd-games.net/content.php?208-Malifaux-Vassal-Module that allows you to play Malifaux online.

I have yet to try this out, or even have the opportunity to down load it (been trying to down OS25-3D with 3 Lvl90s and 1lvl89 [we succeeded!]), but it seems interesting.

But it got me thinking, for quite a while there seems to be an ongoing debate about painting requirements in the hobby, and I've read some very interesting comments.

- my favourite was a guy who said he sprays the models in a base coat of the faction colour, gives them a suitable wash and drybrushes with said faction colour again to give the illusion of board game pieces rather than 'miniatures'. I think this is an original and unique way of dealing with the limiting and demoralising issues many of us face - I mean seriously, who of us hasn't spent hours on a model, felt really proud of it, taken it to a game and had 'that guy' say it looks like shit. Sure, sticks n stones and all that, but it does cut deep.

This then does pose a question, how do you tackle constructive criticism? I've been there, seen a model or crew where I can see what the owner was aiming for and I've made suggestions on how to improve the look, they've taken those suggestions and in the end are happier, but I can't help but feel I'm giving them a shit sandwich. You know, complement, critique, complement. Doesn't stop the fact that I'm asking them to eat a sandwich containing shit!

But with this Vassel mod, if you don't like painting, or what not, you don't need to! No models are required at all!

So what does this mean for the hobby? Is the 'pure gamer' player, those who do it just for the game and not the modelling/painting side going to become a thing of the past?

I'd welcome your thoughts, and on that note my stop is quickly arriving.

Stay safe, and I'll see you breachside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment