Wednesday 20 March 2013

Podcast Prep & Hadley's Hope

Good Wednesday everyone!

The big day has arrived, myself and The Order of Boom (or as I'm calling us: "Dr Loxley and the Boomers") will be recording our meet & greet episode tonight.

I have my new headset that I purchased on Friday, it's a digital USB headset, and I'm still trying to get used to the clarity of sound you get with it.

The mic is a little too quiet for my taste, and it doesn't support +boost, but then I think I'm talking extra quiet because of my sleeping daughter in the next room, and it only cost roughly £30 which I know is cheap for a headset, and it's very comfy which in my opinion is the most important thing.

Anyway where was I? Oh yes! I've been trying to herd the group of cats that are my show co-hosts, and I think we're ready. For those interested we have a twitter account: @newfairbank and I hope that'll get a lot of use.
- I should really make an email account too... Will get around to that at some point.

But what else have I been up to I'm sure you've been wondering!
- No? Well I'm going to tell you anyway!

Last night I played some more Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I hope you can believe me when I sincerely say that I am loving this game. Last night I replayed the Hadley's Hope level and basked in the beautiful textures and fantastic atmosphere that seeped from every air duct.

I also played some more WoW (levelling my Gobbo Hunter) and was fronted with a minor dilemma, can I truly recommend this game to someone else?

You see, while I am loving every minute of this game, the gameplay hasn't really changed, and a description I read a while back of the game being an Aliens Roller Coaster ride is still true now. The only difference is that the company who run the roller coaster have installed dynamic lighting and a tonne of smoke machines and removed the grime from the safety glasses we all have to wear so you can finally see the high res textures (while adding film grain).

Oh and they turned off the safety protocol on the Animatronic Aliens (sort of like West World does Aliens).

Now like I said, I'm loving this! But how much of that is simply because it feels like I'm in an Aliens film? Would someone who isn't as much an Aliens Nerd as me enjoy the game as much as I? I doubt they would, and truth be told since day 1 the game has always been marketed as a game to be enjoyed by fans of the film(s).

So would I recommend the game to people who are either indifferent to the film (or dislike it)? I don't think I would.

I hate to admit it, but no I think that at this stage only people who LOVE Aliens should play this game, and even then it should only be on PC, as let's face it - there's a reason why some games look subpar when they ship - console comparability.

Anyway, in a day or two I'll talk about my thoughts on the reason for the different looks, but for now stay safe and I'll see you breachside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment