Wednesday 27 March 2013

(Static) Rained Away

Good Wednesday everyone,

So remember when I said we were supposed to be recording last night?

Yeah...

We got started and the strangest of things happened, there was the gradually building sound of static rain.

It was the most unusual thing, it would build and build until it was almost deafening, and to make it even worse, it was carrying over to the recording.

So after about 30 mins of trying to fix that I just had to call it a night, which sucked ass!

After another 30 mins of experimenting while talking to my wife via Skype I found out what the problem was, it was one of the settings on my USB headset.

You see it turned out I had 'Loudness Equalisation' turned on. This setting's function is to mess with sounds and make things more (or less depending on the situation) audible. What it was doing was grabbing the quiet sound of static and throwing it into the foreground.

Turning this setting off fixed this problem, but by then it was 21:00 and time to leave it for the night - after all, Geordie Shore was on in 30 mins!

******************

So this makes me wonder, why is my computer recording everything as I hear it? It's most unusual. We tried having my wife record the tests, and found that the problem we had in episode 1 with my voice being really quiet disappeared and everything was really good.

I record and things don't sound right. It's as if it's taking the volume from my computer's output rather than input.

That's fine for now, my wife can record for the time bring, but it's very annoying, and if anyone would know why it's doing this, I'd love to know.
- Please note, I'm using a USB headset so both my headphones and mic are bypassing my sound card and instead using inbuilt sound control (i wish I had thought about that before I bought them, I can't help but wonder if half these problems would be non-existant if I had just bought normal audio-jack headset).

Anyway, I'm going to get back to trying to sort out my sound (the joy of google searches) and we should be recording tonight or tomorrow.

Stay safe and I'll see you breachside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment