Friday 12 July 2013

It's Raining! A general chat about nonsense

Good Friday everyone!

I have just finished my 20 min walk from home to my train station where I then begin my 40 min train ride into London, followed by another train down one stop and then another 10 min walk to work.

Yup my daily commute to work totals 1hr 10 mins each way. That's 2 hrs 20 spent with other people and in this case, kids. And as everyone knows, Dr Loxley hates pother people, especially kids.

Of course it's funny, with those I work with, it's always those who spend less time travelling who get to work later than me.

But today I do this commute with a smile on my face, for things could be much worse today.

Why so happy? You ask? Well while others have been loving this recent heat wave we've been having here, I have not.

It's a problem both my wife and I suffer from, we can't stand the heat.

In my case, I can only put it down to the amount of heat I put out through my skin - seriously, ask anyone who's ever shared a bed with me and they will tell you that I'm like a human sized hot water bottle.

What this means is that in the winter I am more than comfortable, it's awesome! But come summer I can't cope, and this week I really struggled, to the extent I think I may have come down with heat exhaustion on Wednesday when I had to go home early from work and spent (essentially) 3pm to 7am the next morning asleep, waking pretty much only to drink to try and get myself rehydrated.

This is why I am so happy to see that it is ever so slightly raining, the feel of that against skin, it's like a physical ambrosia that I just can't explain.

****************

Now I know there are people who disagree with me, they say that we never have a sun and Winter goes on forever, and this is why they have SAD or a vitamin D deficiency. Frankly, I don't care. What I do care about is my body being unable to sleep because of the heat at night, despite the lack of bedsheets, the open windows and the fan pumping out air. What I care about is my skin getting so hot it feels like I'm about to burn - while say inside away from the sun.

Bring on the winter I say!

And on that note I'll leave you with a picture of my daughter during last winter playing in the snow.


Seriously, if it was viable for many reasons, I'd move to Alaska!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment