Wednesday 8 February 2012

A (False) Sense of Entitlement?

Morning all,

So it turns out my 'local' games club is running a Malifaux tourney on Sunday 19th - local in the way that it takes 20 mins on the train, 30 mins by foot and another 20 mins by tube to get there.

You can read about it Here

What I have found interesting is a common response to the pricing and prizes offered for the tourney.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not looking to black ball anyone here, but I noticed something, a trend if you will that I would describe as a sense of entitlement.

It is my opinion that when someone has something of a certain standard, (let's call that standard, X+1) then they assume that everything of the same type should be like that.

I discussed this briefly with a friend of mine today, who compared it to her love of wine. Once you've had good wine, you can't drink the cheap stuff, which I'll refer to as plain old X grade.

Clearly this is what has happened here. My local club is offering a small tourney with low priced rewards and a high entrance fee because that is all they can manage.

They can't make the entrance fee cheaper because then they wouldn't have the funds to open for the day, likewise they can't offer expensive prizes for the same reason.

However, because there are other clubs with much higher attendance, and in turn an actual profit, those clubs can afford to take a hit on entrance fee and prizes but still break even.

So what are we looking at here? Are people being unreasonable and expecting great things for nothing? Are the organisers not taking a big enough punt with the arrangement? Maybe to both of those, I can't really say either way.

But something I am sure is going on: person Y is used to receiving X+1 grade tournaments, but all the club can offer is grade X. Will it be any less fun? I doubt it, I guess we'll just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment