Tuesday 7 February 2012

The Lies We Tell Ourselves...

... And The Broken Promises It Leaves.

Just prior to Christmas I made a promise to myself to keep practicing new things, to keep pushing the boundaries of my own painting and modelling skill.

When I first got into Malifaux and back into the hobby, my first crew were Gremlins. I painted these us in my usual style, with nothing experimental at all.

My second crew was the Dead Justice NE box. I wanted to try something new with them and so made my own bases using a great how to guide i found online (i still need to link to that guide).

After this i started trying new things, from mixing models together as with my austringer, using putty to add features as with my executioner and using a combo of putty and a modelling drill to make new features and gouge out others, as with my hounds.

But prior to Christmas I knew I was going to start work on my Dreamer crew and that I was actually quite happy with the stock models.

So I spoke with a friend of mine and he told me of a technique he uses quite a lot to paint his models, I think he called it 'wet shading' or something similar, where you soak a washed model in water and then use this water to create gradients of highlights.

I promised myself that this would be my experimentation for this crew. And so shortly after Xmas day I started painting my Dreamer crew, but despite my earlier promise I did my usual technique.

Now this got me thinking, 'why do we do this to ourselves?' as a gamer and modeller I am always telling myself similar things, about pushing new ideas, expanding from my comfort zone, trying new techniques.

But it appears that this only applies if these new ideas are 1 step further/away from what I am comfortable with.

And so I present you with my latest model, Lord Chompy Bits / Nytemare...



Painted in my usual style, with a purely home made putty base. I am quite happy with him, but I can't help but look at him and wonder what he would look like if I had been brave and tried that new technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment